Friday, November 14, 2008

Trip #2 to the Foot Doctor

Foot update:

Let's begin with the fact that Jason and I live on the 5th floor of this lovely building. You might think, that's not so bad... just take the elevator. Well, there is no elevator. I had to walk down all five floors to walk out to the front of the apartment complex to get a taxi.

The fun begins . . .

Half-way down . . .

Jason was having fun with the camera as I thought he would. :)

We took a taxi about 5-6 blocks and then got out here. I have walked past this place dozens of times but never noticed that an orthopedic surgeon keeps shop here.

Across the street . . .

I made it to the door! Wooo!

Inside it looks somewhat similar to a doctor's office back home but things run a little differently here. Luckily the nurses are really nice and when I look at them dumbfounded when they speak to me in fast Korean they do what they can to help me understand what's going on.

Waiting area. . .

I find this first poster especially amusing. For those of you 'foreigners' living in Korea, I think you'll know why.

During my first visit to the doctor I had x-rays taken of my foot. Luckily there were no broken bones (yay!). I like this picture.

Because it has been fairly difficult for me to move around even just in the apartment I asked the doctor for some crutches this time. When your options are putting all of your weight on one hip or using crutches for a few days . . . I'll take crutches, thanks. :)

Jason and I were both really hungry after the doctor visit so we walked the two blocks to Olive Garden. The picture below is of one of the intersections we got to cross rather quickly (especially while on crutches) to get to Olive Garden.

On crutches distances take on new dimensions . . . ugh.

Unfortunately, they were closed when we got there (we found out today that they close for a couple hours between lunch and dinner time).

On the way back to the street to catch a taxi Jason wanted to have his picture taken in front of this truck. It's amazing how tiny they are here! Imagine trying to put the two of us into one of those things . . . that would be a funny picture!!!

Since Olive Garden was closed Jason and I decided to go to VIPS. VIPS is amazing and always has good food. Nom!

We got to VIPS and they were still open. Wooo! Nom Nom!

In the lobby downstairs this little scene greeted us as we walked in the door. To me it looked like a baby shower for a boy was going to be held. There was no one nearby (let alone someone who spoke English) to ask so we went on our merry way.

After we stuffed ourselves with delicious food we headed over to Emart (a major department store in Korea--essentially Korea's version of Walmart) to look at some video games and whatever else struck our fancy. We ended up not getting any video games but after walking around a little bit we came around the corner and saw: Christmas!

We got to choose from a lot of different ornaments to go with our new Christmas tree. :)

So of course we purchased a Christmas tree and some ornaments. I love Christmas and it will be really fun to have a Christmas tree here in the apartment. I also got a little wreath to put at my desk at work. I think the other teachers in the office will find it amusing for a bit to see a mini-Halloween pumpkin candy holder and a Christmas wreath in the same space. lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, anyone who has ever had a broken foot or something similar where their circumstances required you to have a cast or splint on your leg will understand the 'interesting' and 'entertaining' venture of taking a shower without getting your cast or splint wet.

Step 1: Place your foot inside a large enough bag to cover the cast.

Step 2: Have boyfriend take slightly embarrassing photos so you can laugh at yourself later.

Step 3: Tie the bag above the cast to help keep water from entering the bag and ruining your cast or splint.

Step 4: Take nice, long, hot shower. :D

(Sorry--pics of that are "restricted.") :)

So instead Jason suggested I post this,

Please note: bag used to take a shower with is a garbage bag. Gotta love that!

At the end of the 3 minute visit with the doctor we set up a third appointment for next Wednesday. He told me I should wear the splint for another few days, and to use ice on it (didn't really specify length of time or anything--hmmm).

So . . . watch for an upcoming post about Trip #3 to the Foot Doctor next week.

One other thing: it's going to be 'real fun' to teach on crutches and/or sitting in a chair . . . more to follow on that topic next week too.

No comments: